Traveling alone is taking two trips in one. The first, to the destination you have chosen which could lead to life changing experience. The second, inside yourself. I hope these traveling solo quotes will be useful for your Instagram captions or anywhere you would like to use them.
Although the fact of traveling without company is sometimes confused with feeling lonely, the truth is that it should not be this way since it is a decision that can be very positive, whether it is by personal choice or because we do not agree on dates or tastes with friends or family. Many times we forget the benefits of solitude, introspection, and the encounter with oneself that only time outside the daily routine can bring. Traveling alone gives you the ability to consider your life, and even to think about your life goals with fresh eyes, from a new perspective.
Traveling solo quotes
- Like “No one can discover the world for another person. Only when we discover it for ourselves does it become a common point and link and we are no longer alone. ”- Wendell Berry”
More and more people are traveling alone and sharing their experiences. Of course, some aspects vary depending on the country you are going to, and we cannot be as exhaustive as we would like, but we would like to give you some travel tips, both for safety and to make the most of your trip and to make sure traveling alone becomes such an enriching experience that you want to repeat.
2. As Cesare Pavese says- “Traveling is brutal. It forces you to trust strangers and lose sight of the familiar comfort of your home and your friends. You are constantly out of balance. Nothing is yours except the essential: the air, the dream, the dreams, the sea, the sky; all things that tend towards the eternal or what we imagine as such”.
Whether it’s your first trip, new experiences or you have been traveling for years; TRAVELING IS ALWAYS an experience that puts us a bit on the edge and takes us out of our comfort zone. However, it is also true that all this depends on the trip, the person (never criticize the apparent comfort of others’ travel: being in another place, no matter how “easy” it may be, is always a challenge, and we all manage the changes of different way) and, of course, the company.
Have you ever traveled solo? Do you love it? Everything you feel when traveling is intensified, your senses are more alert, you pay more attention to everything and it is easier to create connections with strangers. If you are thinking of finally taking the step, these traveling solo quotes about traveling alone (or traveling in general, but focused on that feeling of being a stranger and not knowing anyone) will give you the push you needed to launch yourself on an adventure. Below I share with you some of my favorite travel quotes, hope it resonates with you too.
Most inspiring traveling solo quotes
- “If you want to know the truth about who you are, walk until no one knows your name. The journey is the great leveler, the great teacher, bitter as medicine, crueler than a mirror. A good stretch of road will teach you more about yourself than a hundred years of silence”. – Patrick Rothfuss
- “The person you have known for a long time is embedded in you like a jewel. The person you just met shines and sparkles and you are fascinated to discover more like them. How many more are there? With someone you hardly know, curiosity is intoxicating.” – Naomi Shihab Nye
- “I like to go to places where I don’t speak the language, where I don’t know anyone, I don’t know how to move and I don’t have the illusion of having anything under control. Disoriented, even scared, I feel alive, awake as I never am when I’m home. ”- Michael Mewshaw
- ”I think you travel more useful when you travel alone because you reflect more.” – Thomas Jefferson
- Celebrate loneliness. Take trains by yourself to places you’ve never been. Sleep alone under the stars. Learn to drive in manual. Go so far that it stops scaring you not to return. Say no when you don’t want to do something. Say yes if your instincts are strong, even if the people around you disagree. Decide if you want to be liked or admired. Decide if fitting in is more important than figuring out what you’re doing here. – Eve Ensler
- ”For those who know the value and exquisite taste of solitary freedom (because one is only free when he is alone), the act of leaving is the bravest and most beautiful of all.” – Isabelle Eberhardt
- “I was wondering why places are so much more pleasant when you are alone. How typical and stupid it would be if I had a friend sitting next to me now, someone I’ve known from school, who said, ‘By the way, I saw Hilda the other day. Do you remember? She said that she was so good at tennis. She is married, with two children. And we would not notice the bluebells around us or listen to the pigeons. – Daphne du Maurier
- “Waking up alone in a strange city is one of the most pleasant sensations in the world. Adventure surrounds you ». – Freya Stark
- “Travels, like artists, are born and not made. A thousand different circumstances contribute to them, very few determined by will. They spontaneously flourish from the demands of our nature, and the best of them carry us not only out into space but inward as well. Traveling can be one of the most rewarding forms of introspection”. – Lawrence Durrell
- ”Getting lost was not so much a matter of geography as of identity, a passionate desire, even an urgent need, to become nobody and anyone, to get rid of the shackles that remind you who you are and who others think you are.” – Rebecca Solnit
- “Travel only with thy equals or thy betters; if there are none, travel alone.” — Buddha
- “One day you’ll wake up and there won’t be any more time to do the things you’ve always wanted. Do it now”. – Paulo Coelho
- “The man who goes alone can start today, but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready.” – Henry David Thoreau
- “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – Saint Augustine
- “I learned my strengths and my weaknesses. I experienced the exhilaration of the ups and the despairs of the lows and most of the feelings in between… I learned courage and I learned it myself” – Ann Stirk
- “You must go on adventures to find out where you belong.” – Sue Fitzmaurice
- “There are some places in life where you can only go alone. Embrace the beauty of your solo journey.” – Mandy Hale
- “Travel opens your mind as few other things do. It is its own form of hypnotism, and I am forever under its spell.”- Libba bray
- “Without new experiences, something inside us sleeps. The sleeper must awaken.” – Frank Herbert
- “I used to be a pedestrian before, now I am the rider on the same road.” – Piyush Paudyal
- Only by going alone, without luggage, can one truly enter the heart of the wild. Any other trip is pure dust and hotels and luggage and chatter. – John Muir
- “I don’t like traveling very much, but I’ve always dreamed of taking a slow train to Russia. I would like to go alone – as writers do – accompanied only by a pencil and a piece of paper. I would take out my notebook and write down all the wonderful details about the rest of the travelers. – Jane Birkin
- “The man who goes alone can start today, but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready”. – Henry David Thoreau
- “It seemed an advantage to be traveling alone. Our responses to the world are crucially shaped by our company because we moderate our curiosity to fit the expectations of others… Being watched closely by a partner can also inhibit our observation of others, and we may also focus too much on adjusting to other people’s questions or comments or feel the need to appear more normal than is good for our curiosity. – Alain de Botton
- “Loving life is easy when you are abroad. Where no one knows you and your life is only in your hands, you are more master of yourself than at any other time”. – Hannah Arendt
- “When you travel with another person you share all the discoveries, but when you are alone you have to carry each experience with you like a secret, something that you must write in your heart because there is no other way to preserve it.” – Shauna Niequist
- I see my path, but I don’t know where it leads. It is not knowing where I am going that inspires me to travel it ». – Rosalía de Castro
- “Take only memories, leave only footprints.” – Chief Seattle
- I’m in love with cities I’ve never been to and people I’ve never met.” – John Green
- “You lose sight of things… and when you travel, everything balances out.” – Daranna Gidel
- “Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.” – Mary Anne Radmacher
- “Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and celebrate the journey.” – Fitzhugh Mullan
- “Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen.” – Benjamin Disraeli
- “The World is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.” – Saint Augustine
- “Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.” – Scott Cameron
- “You are the one that possesses the keys to your being. You carry the passport to your own happiness.” – Diane von Furstenberg
- “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.” – Helen Keller
- “I always wonder why birds choose to stay in the same place when they can fly anywhere on earth. Then I ask myself the same question.” – Harun Yahya
- “Traveling alone doesn’t always mean you’re alone. Most often, you meet marvelous people along the way and make connections that last a lifetime.” – Jacqueline Boone
- “I think one travels more usefully when they travel alone because they reflect more.” – Thomas Jefferson
- “Great people do things before they’re ready. They do things before they know they can do it. Doing what you’re afraid of, getting out of your comfort zone, taking risks like that — that’s what life is. You might be really good.” – Amy Poehler
- “I see my path, but I don’t know where it leads. Not knowing where I’m going is what inspires me to travel it.” – Rosalia de Castro
- “Some journeys take you farther from where you come from, but closer to where you belong.” – Ron Franscell
- “Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain.” ― Jack Kerouac
- “We travel, some of us forever, to seek other states, other lives, other souls.” – Anaïs Nin
- “One of the great things about travel is that you find out how many good, kind people there are.” – Edith Wharton
- “It is pointless to embark on any journey if you do not believe yourself worthy of the destination.” – Anthon St. Maarten
- “The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.” – Ayn Rand
- “Everywhere you go, you shall find dramatic splendor and awe because your majestic soul is part of the vivid whole, and nothing about you is ignoble.” – Kilroy J. Oldster
- “When preparing to travel, lay out all your clothes and all your money. Then take half the clothes and twice the money!” – Susan Heller
- “The goal of my life is to tie adventure to my feet, stock memories in my pocket, hold imagination in my palms like fairy dust and sprinkle it on my tales.” – Mitali Meelan
- “It seemed an advantage to be travelling alone. Our responses to the world are crucially moulded by the company we keep, for we temper our curiosity to fit in with the expectations of others.” – Alain de Botton
- “Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry, and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may become friends.” – Maya Angelou
- “It is in all of us to defy expectations, to go into the world and to be brave, and to want, to need, to hunger for adventures. To embrace the chance and risk so that we may breathe and know what it is to be free.” – Mae Chevrette
- “I was amazed that what I needed to survive could be carried on my back. And, most surprising of all, that I could carry it.” – Cheryl Strayed
- “Traveling—it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta
- “When the traveler goes alone he gets acquainted by himself.” – Liberty Hyde Bailey
- “A ship is safe in the harbor, but that’s not what ships are built for.” – Gael Attal
- “Not I, nor anyone else, can travel that road for you. You must travel it for yourself.” – Walt Whitman
- “You must go on adventures to find out where you belong.” – Sue Fitzmaurice
- “Loneliness adds beauty to life. It puts a special burn on sunsets and makes night air smell better.” – Henry Rollins
- “I’ve not ceased being fearful, I’ve gone ahead despite the pounding in my heart that says: turn back, turn back, you’ll die if you go too far.” – Erica Jong
- “I wondered why it was that places are so much lovelier when one is alone.” – Daphne du Maurier
- “Loving life is easy when you are abroad. Where no one knows you and you hold your life in your hands all alone, you are more master of yourself than at any other time.” – Hannah Arendt
- “Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?” – Mary Oliver
- “London on your own actually seems more exotic than Egypt on a tour.” – Laura Fraser
- “If you don’t get out of the box you’ve been raised in, you won’t understand how much bigger the world is.” – Angelina Jolie
- “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
- “My alone feels so good — I’ll only have you if you’re sweeter than my solitude.” — Warsan Shire
- “Every dreamer knows that it is entirely possible to be homesick for a place you’ve never been to, perhaps more homesick than for familiar ground.” – Judith Thurman
- “Nobody can discover the world for somebody else. Only when we discover it for ourselves does it become common ground and a common bond and we cease to be alone.” – Wendell Berry
- “I’m never happier than when I’m alone in a foreign city; it is as if I had become invisible.” – Storm Jameson
- “The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before.” – Albert Einstein
- “This is the journey of your life. Don’t try to explain it to others, because only you can see it.” – Nitin Namdeo
- “If you make friends with yourself you will never be alone.” – Maxwell Maltz
- “To awaken quite alone in a strange town is one of the most pleasant sensations in the world. You are surrounded by adventure.” – Freya Stark
- “Travel doesn’t become adventure until you leave yourself behind.” – Marty Rubin
- “When you’re traveling with someone else, you share each discovery, but when you are alone, you have to carry each experience with you like a secret, something you have to write on your heart, because there’s no other way to preserve it.” – Shauna Niequist
- “Don’t be scared to walk alone. Don’t be scared to like it.” – John Mayer
- “People never learn anything by being told, they have to find out for themselves.” – Paulo Coelho
- “Solo travel not only pushes you out of your comfort zone, it also pushes you out of the zone of others’ expectations.” – Suzy Strutner
- “So call me a fool, but I’m happy to be lost.” – Micheline Jean Louis
- “Life shrinks or expands in proportion with one’s courage.” – Anaïs Nin
- “To travel is to live.” – Hans Christian Andersen
- “The inner journey of travel is intensified by solitude.” – Paul Theroux
- “Travel far enough to meet yourself.” – David Mitchell
- “I travel a lot. I hate having my life disrupted by routine”. – Caskie Stinnett
- “I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.” – Susan Sontag
- “Walk your own path and be yourself.” – Joanne Nussbaum
- “The only impossible journey is the one you never begin.” – Tony Robbins
- “The best trip is the journey you take in finding yourself.” – Angela Vallely
- “Wherever you go, go with all your heart.” – Confucius
- “Some journeys can be only travelled alone!” – Ken Poirot
- “Now more than ever do I realize that I will never be content with a sedentary life, that I will always be haunted by thoughts of a sun-drenched elsewhere.” – Isabelle Eberhardt
- “When it is over, I don’t want to wonder if I have made of my life something particular, and real. I don’t want to find myself sighing and frightened, or full of argument. I don’t want to end up simply having visited this world.” – Mary Oliver
- “Our happiest moments as tourists always seem to come when we stumble upon one thing while in pursuit of something else.” -Lawrence Block
- “A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions.” – Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
- “It is better to see something once than to hear about it a hundred times.” – Russian Proverb
- “All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.” – Martin Buber
- “Traveling solo means getting to know the real you.” –Unknown
- “Life begins at the end of your comfort zone” – Neale Donald Walsch
- “Dare to live the life you always wanted.” – Unknown
- “Travel doesn’t become adventure until you leave yourself behind.” – Marty Rubin
- “The life you have led doesn’t need to be the only life you have.” – Anna Quindlen
- “Half the fun of travel is the aesthetic of lostness.” – Ray Bradbury
- “I’m not afraid of storms, for I’m learning how to sail my ship.” – Mary Louise Alcott
- “Adventure can be an end in itself. Self-discovery is the secret ingredient.” – Grace Lichtenstein
- “You don’t choose the day you enter the world and you don’t chose the day you leave. It’s what you do in between that makes all the difference.” – Anita Septimus
- “I was forced to wander, having no one, forced by my nature to keep wandering because wandering was the only thing that I believed in, and the only thing that believed in me.” — Roman Payne
- “Then one day, when you least expect it, the great adventure finds you.” – Ewan McGregor
- “Hitler didn’t travel. Stalin didn’t travel. Saddam Hussein never traveled. They didn’t want to have their orthodoxy challenged.” – Howard Gardner
- “He who is outside his door has the hardest part of his journey behind him.” – Dutch Proverb
- “And if travel is like love, it is, in the end, mostly because it’s a heightened state of awareness, in which we are mindful, receptive, undimmed by familiarity and ready to be transformed. That is why the best trips, like the best love affairs, never really end.” – Pico Iyer
- “To my mind, the greatest reward and luxury of travel is to be able to experience everyday things as if for the first time, to be in a position in which almost nothing is so familiar it is taken for granted.” – Bill Bryson
- “As you travel solo, totally responsible for yourself, it is inevitable that you will discover just how capable you are.” – Unknown
- “If you don’t go after what you want, you’ll never have it. If you don’t ask, the answer is always no. If you don’t step forward, you are always in the same place.” – Nora Roberts
- “The impulse to travel is one of the hopeful symptoms of life.” – Agnes Repplier
- “Travel changes you. As you move through this life and this world you change things slightly, you leave marks behind, however small. And in return, life- and travel- leaves marks on you.” – Anthony Bourdain
- “Traveling is not something you’re good at. It’s something you do. Like breathing.” – Gayle Foreman
- “I have traveled many roads in my life. Some were imbued with pain and I needed to avert my gaze. Others were so beautiful that I would have remained there forever. But always, at some point in these routes, I reached a place where I encountered myself.” – Pablo Holmberg
- “Adventure should be part of everyone’s life. It is the whole difference between being fully alive and just existing.” – Holly Morris
- “Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.” – Gustav Flaubert
- “Once the travel bug bites there is no known antidote, and I know that I shall be happily infected until the end of my life.” – Michael Palin
- “And then there is the most dangerous risk of all — the risk of spending your life not doing what you want on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later.” – Randy Komisar
- “Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body. But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming …wow what a ride.” – Mark Frost
- “Do not stop thinking of life as an adventure. You have no security unless you can live bravely, excitingly, imaginatively, unless you can choose a challenge instead of a competence.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
- “If you’re twenty-two, physically fit, hungry to learn and be better, I urge you to travel – as far and as widely as possible. Sleep on floors if you have to. Find out how other people live and eat and cook. Learn from them – wherever you go.” – Anthony Bourdain
- “Life is a journey with big rocks to climb, little ones to trip over, and milestones to mark where we have been.” – David Cuschieri
- “Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.” – David McCullough Jr.
- “It’s a long ride home with nothing but me for company. I bore myself sometimes. Not often. Just now and again.” – A.J. Hartley & David Hewson
- “Don’t let anyone rob you of your imagination, your creativity, or your curiosity. It’s your place in the world; it’s your life. Go on and do all you can with it, and make it the life you want to live.”- Mae Jemison
- “All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost.” – J.R.R. Tolkien
- “Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand and melting like a snowflake.” – Marie Beyon Ray
- “This life is an enduring and complex journey, but finally I have reached the point in my story where I am appreciative of where I’ve been, proud of where I am, and excited about where I have yet to go.” – Becca Lee
- “My soul is from elsewhere, I’m sure of that, and I intend to end up there.” – Rumi
Your Solo travel Instagram captions sorted. If this helped, please repin or share it with your circle.
Let me know in the comments:
- Which is your favorite traveling solo quotes
- Beautiful cafes in London
- 14 benefits of traveling alone
- Melbourne day trips in winter
- Australia east coast must-see
- Things to do in Umina
- Melbourne travel guide for first timers is here.
- Instagram worthy places in Melbourne
- Secret melbourne walks
- Travel Captions for Instagram
- Free camping on the great ocean road
- Things to do in Melbourne when raining
- Tips for moving from Sydney to Melbourne
- Pros and cons of living in Australia
- Read Hanoi itinerary for 7 days
- Here are the 11 best bars in Hanoi you don’t want to miss
- Teaching English in south east Asia
- How to travel to Nepal during Covid
- Singapore itinerary for 3 nights 4 days is here
- Wellmune beta glucan and its benefits
- Ayutthaya Private Tour
- Street food tour Bangkok
- Check hotel prices and book it through trusted Agoda, or Booking.com
- For flights, I use the most trusted sites such as Skyscanner or Momodo.
- I have detailed travel resources right here. Save money, learn what and how.
- If you like this article, follow my adventures on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, and Pinterest, but most importantly sign up to my e-mail list to keep up with updates and travel posts!
10 thoughts on “136 Most Inspiring Traveling Solo Quotes”
Life is a journey with big rocks to climb…. this is definitely my favorite.
So many great quotes to use and I love the one that Becca Lee said, ” This life is an enduring and complex journey, but finally I have reached the point in my story where I am appreciative of where I’ve been, proud of where I am, and excited about where I have yet to go”.
Thanks for sharing all these inspiring quotes! Traveling alone can be life changing.
Love these quotes! I love travelling and especially enjoyed the times I did it alone! Hoping for things to go back to normal so I can get my tush on a plane again!
I bookmarked it, absolutely adore these quotes. I’ve always loved traveling solo, and these quotes perfectly capture all the reasons why.
Lots of inspiring quotes on travel. Just think- in a short time, life will return to normal and we can travel once again! Or at least I keep telling myself that.
These quotes are all amazing! I have never traveled alone, but now I want to!
I love the 1st quote. Once the pandemic is over, I’d like to go on a trip that will make me learn more about myself. I hope that it’s going to be liberating.
These quotes are all beautiful and inspirational. I like reading them because they somehow ease my longing to travel.
I love these travel quotes. I resonate with some of them. I’ll bookmark this post so I can go back to it once we are cleared to travel!