Eden is a great place to visit for that weekend getaway. And to make your travel planning easier, today I am sharing the best things to do in Eden NSW. Eden is located at the bottom of New South Wales- on the East Coast of Australia. It is located in the middle of Melbourne and Sydney on the Princes Highway.
The town is just over the border from Victoria past Mallacoota. It has different shops that are supported by government services. It’s one of the prime tourist destinations for people who want to break from their routine. It offers incredible sightseeing from large cities, hills, and bays. It is a fantastic break for family, kids, and friends. Without further ado, let’s start:
Best Things To Do In Eden NSW
- Best Things To Do In Eden NSW
- 1. Picnic at Ben Boyd National Park
- 2. Whale Watching with Cat Balou Cruises
- 3. Nature Trail at the Merrica River
- 4. Eden Killer Whale Museum
- 5. Fishing At Eden
- 6. Dine at Eden Smokehouse
- Final Thoughts
- Let me know in the comments –
1. Picnic at Ben Boyd National Park
This is an exceptional area for tourists and locals. The area is located in the northern section of Ben Boyd Park. It is in between Eden and Merimbula. The area stretches over to the north head of Twofold Bay. The river is surrounded by a national park that makes it a pristine place for those seeking an adventure. Secluded beaches are something to enjoy here.
Kayaking, swimming, and fishing can be done as you picnic in the area. It is a perfect destination for both families and solo travels. You can take a short walk to Severs Beach to see the Aboriginal shell dated 3,500 years.
The area has spectacular spots that tourists can go whale watching during the winter or spring. Fishers usually cast a long line off Long Beach to catch salmon. There is also bird watching opportunities, and if you are lucky, you will get to see pied oystercatcher or the hooded plover.
2. Whale Watching with Cat Balou Cruises
Eden killer whale watching is one of the must do here. Cat Balou Cruises are profoundly exceptional at providing mind-blowing experience when it comes to whale watching. You will gain an experience of nature at its best when you board the 16-meter catamaran. It’s a family-owned business that prides itself on giving tourists an escape from monotony.
Whale watching starts in early September to mid-November. The enterprise has a high success rate of seeing whales as they migrate. You will get to see the Humpbacks heading towards the Antarctic. You will get to see Orca, Bryde, Southern Right, and Minke. The ship is well fitted with hearing aids to enable tourists to hear the whales singing. You can also opt for Twofold Bay Cruise, which operates twice a year.
For an exceptional experience, you should carry warm clothes, a camera, and sunglasses.
3. Nature Trail at the Merrica River
If you are seeking a pristine landscape walk, Merrica River will be your solace. The area around Merrica’s mouth is extremely breathtaking; the joy of discovery of the changing landscape. It’s a long walk to the beach, so you might want to carry your swimming apparel to get a dip in the ocean.
As you cross over the creek, you will see the waterfalls and rock pools that are downright divine. There is also an endearing fire trail that passes through the eucalyptus forest leading to the vast area of Disaster Bay. As you make your way to the bay, be on the lookout for eastern water dragons on the stones near the creek. The river also features a pair of resident sea eagles who patrol the river and coast for food.
4. Eden Killer Whale Museum
The museum has been fitted with relics for over 80 years. It is the only museum with the skeletons of an orca- Old Tom. It is the most boisterous whale that haunted baleen whales in the 1800s. The museum has breathtaking views of the bay, bookshop as well as whales.
5. Fishing At Eden
Another best thing to do in Eden NSW is fishing. Tourists enjoy catching decent fish at the main wharf, especially. You cannot fail to catch a fish during your vacation. Eden has some of the best charter boats to take you for exploration around the waters. It is reputable for its deepwater inlets, crystal clear rivers, long stretches of shoreline, and offshore fishing fields. You may want to explore:
It is famous for having the most exciting family activities. The area features Snug Cove wharves that delight all ages. The mackerel and yellowtail will keep everyone hooked on casting lines and baiting hooks.
It is located only 30km south of Eden. Its versatility brings a lot of tourists from all over the world. If you really like Salmon, you should make a point to visit the area. The lake opens up to the Baycliff Ocean that has the best fish and view.
It is ideal for late evening travelers. It is situated right on the outskirts of the township.
Pulpit Rocks at Green Cape
This is a perfect spot for land-based fishers. You can pack your picnic and take a day off from the other routines.
This destination is located three kilometers south of Eden. It is known for the best boat launching facility that keeps visitors coming for days on end. The bay provides scenic picnics and swimming as well with the best view. If you haven’t been on a yacht yet, this is the place to visit this holiday.
6. Dine at Eden Smokehouse
Different restaurants offer different tastes to the same meal. Eden Smokehouse has perfected the art of preparing a proper steak that carries the flavors bountifully. The restaurant is keen on producing quality meat that is full of natural tastes.
Eden Australia is a great weekend getaway. Pop by Eden tourist information and be keen to interact with the locals to get the most out of your trip. The luxurious holiday apartments are exceptionally well maintained by staff or simply look up cabin accommodation in Airbnb. If you want an outdoor experience, there are still camping options you may find interesting. It’s a major tourist attraction with a big fishing industry, green cape lighthouse walk, and hiking in Ben Boyd national park. Do not hesitate to head to Eden and experience the fun of a lifetime. A vacation well deserved.
Let me know in the comments –
- If you’ve had any questions about things to do in Eden NSW
- Sydney itinerary 5 days is here.
- Next weekend idea -> Best things to do in Northern NSW
- 99% of readers found must see on the east coast of Australia helpful.
- Read best day trips from Sydney by train
- Check out how you can explore Adelaide South Australia the best way.
- Heading to iconic Alice Springs for that unique Uluru trip?
- Here I share must do in Darwin, Australia.
- Solo travel guide to Brisbane (Insta worthy places included!)
- Heading to Melbourne next, check out Melbourne travel guide for first timers.
- Heading to Perth, read things to do in Perth
- Review of Captain Cook Cruises whale watching Sydney
- Next Stop? check out the most beautiful places in New Zealand South Island.
- Going to Vietnam after Australia? Check out the 7 days Hanoi travel guide.
- If you need to book accommodations for your next travels, get a $76 discount with Airbnb here.
- Alternatively, you can check hotel prices and book it through trusted Agoda, or Booking.com
- Read the most wanted travel resource here.
- If you like this article, follow my adventures on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, and Pinterest, but most importantly sign up to my e-mail list to keep up with updates and travel posts!