Looking for day trips from Plovdiv Bulgaria? You are in the right place. It seems not many young people visit this less known city but it changed when it was announced the cultural city of 2019. Young, old everyone has been raving about Plovdiv since.
Plovdiv is the oldest still living city in Europe inhabited since 6000 years B.C. Some of the famous historical monuments include the Roman stadium, the Ancient Threatre, the charming old town with many National Revival period houses, the Djumala mosque, etc. With the same stroke, there are many awesome places to visit outside of Plovdiv as well. Now without further ado let’s start.
10 ideas for day trips from Plovdiv
- 10 ideas for day trips from Plovdiv
- 1. Bachkovo Monastery and Asen’s Fortress
- 2. Wonderful Bridges, Bachkovo Monastery and Asen’s Fortress
- 3. Kazanlak, Rose Valley and the Valley of the Thracian Kings
- 4. Starosel Thracian Temple and Hisarya Spa Resort
- 5. Koprivshtitsa
- 6. Veliko Tarnovo, Arbanassi and Shipka Memorial Church
- 7. Sofia
- 8. Rila Monastery
- 9. Seven Rila Lakes day hike
- 10. Musala Peak day hike
1. Bachkovo Monastery and Asen’s Fortress
Visit the remarkable remains of King Asen’s Fortress and church from the 13thcentury located on a picturesque hill in the Rhodope Mountains. You can also explore the famous Bachkovo Monastery, Optional easy hike in the nearby Red Wall nature reserve.
2. Wonderful Bridges, Bachkovo Monastery and Asen’s Fortress
On this day trip from Plovdiv, you can walk around the 45m high rock bridges named the wonderful bridges, situated at 1450m in the heart of the mystical Rhodope Mountains. At the same time, also visit the impressive Asen’s Fortress and Bachkovo Monastery, founded in the 11th century.
3. Kazanlak, Rose Valley and the Valley of the Thracian Kings
Travel through the notorious Rose Valley where the best rose oil in the world is being produced. In the valley of Thracian Kings, visit the Golyama Kosmatka tomb and the UNESCO world cultural Heritage site – the Thracian Tomb of KazanIak, both from 4-5 century B.C.
Rose is a significant symbol for Bulgaria and it has its own celebration – The Festival of the rose which takes place every year in June.
4. Starosel Thracian Temple and Hisarya Spa Resort
Near Starosel village discover the largest Thracian temple-tomb from 4-5 centuries B.C. belonging to a Thracian ruler. While you are there, also visit the peaceful spa resort town Hisarya, famous for its hot mineral springs, significant Roman remains, green parks and swimming pools.
You can walk along the narrow cobbled streets of Koprivshtitsa – a charming historic town, the main center of the heroic April uprising from 1876. It is also known for its authentic architecture from the Bulgarian National Revival period of the 19th century.
6. Veliko Tarnovo, Arbanassi and Shipka Memorial Church
One of my favorite day trips from Plovdiv is this one. On this day trip, you can explore the picturesque Veliko Tarnovo, the capital of the Second Bulgarian Kingdom, boasting of many historical monuments including the imposing medieval fortress Tsarevets and the nearby Arbanassi- one of Bulgaria’s most remarkable historic villages.
If you are staying in Plovdiv and want to visit Sofia. You can either get on the public bus (cheap) or buy a private day tour or a full day group tour. Whichever way you get there, hope you get to discover the capital of Bulgaria – Sofia and learn about its history! It is a popular tourist destination and famous landmarks are the gold-domed Alexander Nevsky Cathedral, the early Byzantine Church of St. Sophia, Ivan Vazov National Theatre, the Russian church, the late Roman Church of St. George, old town, etc.
In case you only have 1 day in Sofia, read What to see in Sofia in 1 day
8. Rila Monastery
Rila Monastery is nestled in the imposing Rila Mountains. It is the most famous landmark in Bulgaria, a spectacular UNESCO World Heritage Site. The Holy Rila Retreat founded in the 10th century is the largest Bulgarian monastery and most visited tourist site in the country.
9. Seven Rila Lakes day hike
This hike is another must-go day trips from Plovdiv. These lakes are located above 2000m in the Rila Mountains National Park. It is the most popular hiking destination in Bulgaria revealing the outstanding natural beauty of the landscape and the gorgeous glacial lakes all around.
10. Musala Peak day hike
In this day trip, you can conquer the highest peak in Bulgaria and on the entire Balkan Peninsula- the mightly Musala peak located at 2925 m. You can walk along this famous hiking itinerary situated within the boundaries of the outstanding Bulgarian national park Rila.
It is a good idea to shop around full day trips, private tours to visit these places. On saying that public transportation from Plovdiv can be accessible as well.
Let me know in the comments-
- If you have any questions about unusual things to do in Sofia
- Read What to see in Sofia in 1 day
- Find the best Sofia tours you can take
- Here are the 7 unusual things to do in Sofia
- Check out what to do in Prague in September next.
- How to spend a weekend in Bucharest?
- Solo female travel to Andorra, a beautiful country in Europe!
- Don’t miss the 10 must see instagrammable cafes in Hanoi
- Check out all the Australia travel guide (Everything you need to know about traveling to Sydney is here)
- Solo travel guide to Brisbane (Gold coast and Insta worthy places included!
- Exploring Adelaide the best way is a must-read
- Best Australia travel guide to Uluru trip
- Attractions in Perth, Western Australia
- Must see on the east coast of Australia is fun, it includes barrier reef, beautiful national park, and more exciting places and activities
- Here I blog about the Melbourne attractions
- If you need to book accommodations for your next travels, open a new Airbnb account with my link and use this $76 Airbnb discount for your first booking.
- Sign up to my e-mail list to receive travel guides and tips
- You can watch all the stories from solo traveling to Sofia on my Sofia highlight. PS: I am on a mission to travel to all the countries in the world. Join the adventure on my Instagram if you want.