Lovely warm morning in Vientiane, Laos. I was sipping my regular latte reading my interesting book and Boom!
I got a notification.
A lovely reader from far away Europe had somehow bumped into my blog, found it inspiring and nominated it with
* THE LIEBSTER AWARD*! Flabbergasted because 1. I don’t know her! I heard this nomination thing works like a new job = you gotta know someone to get it. Oh, I was wrong!
2. I started this blog just few weeks before that and wasn’t expecting Liebster Award so soon. But glad it happened because if you know anything about blogging, you will agree with me 1. It takes discipline, laser sharp focus for great content and commitment 2. It takes a lot of time, energy and patience. Having a fellow blogger appreciating my efforts early on means a lot to me.
So, Thanks Suz from http://www.mcvagabonds.com/ Currently she is travelling Europe and writes interesting posts. I enjoy them and hope you do too.
Now what is The Liebster Award ?
“Liebster” is a German word meaning beloved or dearest. It is an online recognition in form of virtual award which started in 2011 passed on by bloggers to fellow bloggers for enjoying and valuing their work. The idea is to recognize the effort and give credit. It turns into motivation as well. I think it is super cool thing within travel writing community.
Morning Meditation in my recent trip to Luang Prabang, Laos 😉
My Answers to Suz’s questions:
1. If you could give 2016 a one-word description, what would it be?
Amazing. Not only because I traveled to 8 beautiful countries and lived in 3 hectic cities in different continents but also because I finally started working on my dream blog and became part of an inspiring travel community.
2. Name your blogging goals for 2017?
My main blogging goal for 2017 is consistency. I am the type of person to start doing fantastic things but after a while either I get sidetrack, stop or something happens. So, 2017 definitely needs to be about consistency for me.
3. In terms of your blog, what are you most proud of from 2016 (a specific post? hitting a goal?)
I started this blog first week of December 2016 but by the 31st of December 2016, I am proud to have hit a goal of 1000 + followers in Instagram, 200+ in face book and 50 email subscribers. And of course the Liebster award. It feels great to know there are others who appreciate travel, writing, photography and nature like i do. So, if you are reading this and support me i want to Thank You 🙂
4. Where and when was your most memorable trip?
This is a difficult one as I have more than a dozen of them. But what comes to mind just now is the trip to Somphamit waterfalls (also called Li Phi falls ) . Plane, bus, boat and my two feet were used to get there. Quite a journey to get there really. I have times where my journeys were more memorable than destination but this one is the opposite.
Little scared to sit at the edge of this massive waterfall but hey anything for my blog baby 😉
Pictures taken with my favorite camera of 2017.
If you have traveled across Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam you must have seen Mekong river. In Vientiane, Laos Mekong seems calm but wait till you get to the island Don Khon. 700 meters from the bridge that connects the island Don Khon with the island Don Det, off the western tip of Si Phan Don or The 4000 Islands in southern Laos, near the border with Cambodia.
This is where that one long river turns itself into many tinny tiny and giant waterfalls. First you will see one giant mix of tiny waterfalls, then you see another one, then another, another and some more. It is really cool 🙂 I was impressed to see all those gorgeous waterfalls within walking distance from each other along with interesting rock transformation.
Li phi waterfalls consists of the numerous cascades, which makes it a dramatic sight and a must-see waterfall for travel lovers. I’m telling you it is no ordinary waterfalls. It measures 10.8 km wide and 9.7 km long and is said to be the widest and longest waterfall complex in the world.
If you happen to be there and count it, altogether there are 7 waterfalls all in one place but scattered! I have seen lot of waterfalls around the world but this truly is one of a kind. It is grandfather of waterfalls. Seriously!
Now add to that a beach to yourself, an amazing sunsets and good food with great company. Definitely a trip to remember!
5. What are your travel plans looking like so far in 2017 ?
So far as I am typing this, I just got back from a trek in Annapurna region in Nepal and have plans to do another big trek before I leave but because of extreme weather condition up in the mountains I might have to wait a month. Besides that, I want to base myself somewhere nice for few months and I’m at the stage of researching just now. I’m not leaving before I see Everest, so where to next will be a surprise for me as well!
6. Where do you go for travel inspiration?
I have a long list of places I want to go and when you have a list, you better be inspired right 🙂 Besides that, I find inspiration on books, photographs, and sometimes word of mouth. I don’t have one specific place/blog I go to but I do read a lot.
7. What is one travel planning tool you can’t live without?
Google Maps if not Maps.me. Best thing about it is you can also use it without internet. Download the offline map of the places you want to go and you are set. Before you download, just make sure to have enough space on your phone and regularly delete the offline maps after use. I think it is the handy and easiest tool for travel planning on the go.
8. Look through your camera, what’s the last picture you took?
9. Who do you love to travel with the most?
When i travel with someone for longer than 5 days pretty sure we will get into each other’s nerves at some point. The idea is to travel with someone who understands that and won’t make a big deal if you need space or even if you just want to rant. Even better if that some one laughs about it and gets over it quickly. So yes intelligent individuals with sense of humor and good people with good vibes. Those are the ones i love to travel with the most.
10. Do you have a dream destination?
Even after traveling to 5 continents, 32 countries and countless cities, i still want to see more. So, yes i have more than one dream destination. Some of them would be Andes, Antarctica, Bermuda, Balkans, Scotland, St. Barts, St. Barthelemy, Laucala Island, Neckar Island, Ireland, Mars, Madagascar, Musha Cay, Maldives etc
11. What was one place you went to that you actually didn’t care for?
I do some research before i travel. So luckily i haven’t been to a place i wasn’t interested in some way.
Now, I am also thrilled to pass on the Liebster Award nomination to the following wonderful blogs.
Your (11) Questions:
1. Are you an Introvert or Extrovert?
2. How has that (answer to #1) changed the way you travel?
3. What is your favorite, unique travel experience? Did you plan it, or did it just happen?
4. If attached, how do you stay at peace on the road? If not attached, how do you date on the road?
5. Where would you want to live the rest of your life and why?
6. What are few of your travel tips to save money?
7. Are you planning on working 9-5 again or keep travelling until your money runs out?
8. How much of your time is spent on writing new posts, versus promotion on social media?
9. What made you break the norm and become a traveler?
10. What is your biggest fear?
11. What 3 books changed your life positively?
If you have been nominated for The Liebster Award and you choose to accept it:
- Display the award on your blog and write a post about the award.
- Thank the person who nominated you and post a link to their blog. Tell the reader a little about your nominator.
- Answer the 11 questions given to you by the blogger who nominated you.
- Nominate 5 – 11 blogs that you feel deserve the award.
- Give the nominees 11 questions to answer on their blog.
- List these rules in your post.
- Notify the nominees of the Liebster Award and ask if they would be happy to accept? If so, send them a link to your post.
Hope you enjoyed this post x